Saturday, January 31, 2009

Alright Buckeyes!

My life is getting busy.
This may be bad.
Anchorage is the ultimate melting pot. There are people from all over. I've been introduced to Hmong culture. I'm happy to tell you more as I learn. One of the teachers I work with is Hmong, originally from California. Perhaps he'll be able to teach me some more.
One of my half goals is to make it out to the bush in the summer. I'm limiting winter travel because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know where to begin to prepare. And I should have plenty of time when my term ends in July.
It is amazing to see how well so many cultures thrive here. Who would've thought that such a harsh climate could host so much life!
A volcano is preparing to erupt about 100 miles from here. People have been preparing for ash to cover Anchorage. It seems to have quieted down now. I'm adding to my list of natural disasters: blizzards, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, and now volcanoes. I'm also shooting for an avalanche while I'm up here.
In other worlds, the Buckeyes, the basketball team I'm co-coaching, beat the Sooners 18-8. We're very excited about that. But more excited that the girls had fun playing. And did an awesome job! It turns out that our parents like our enthusiasm and the girls seem to like us. Which is much more important to me. They haven't realized that we don't know what we're doing yet...
We're learning though. We're definitely learning.
Tonight is hockey and reindeer dogs. Bill ruined my plans last Sunday when I tried to eat a reindeer dog. We determined, however, that reindeer dogs and hockey make more sense than gas station reindeer dogs.
Last night I helped out at a Scrabble Tournament. I judged.
There are a lot of competitive Scrabble people in the world. I had a few offers from people who wanted to buy me off. It was tempting... While I don't have the final numbers, the fundraiser brought in well over $5000 for the Anchorage Literacy Project.
it was such a great event! I'm adding it to my fundraising repertoire (in fact, it's my my first entry).
Things are trucking along in Anchorage. It's been a busy week. Most of my days are booked between now and March. Which is odd. Kind of nice. At least there are a lot of fun activities involved.
That being said, I do have time for a nap right now.
I plan to enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment