Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK!

I love this holiday! It is quickly becoming my favorite.

My friends and I volunteered at the Boys and Girls Club painting bathrooms. I got to run around with kids, eat a free lunch, and I'm now coaching a 3rd and 4th grade girls basketball team. Practice starts Wednesday. I hope the games don't start Saturday, but it's possible.

We get to have parent meetings and phone trees. We also go to lug a bag of basketballs home on the bus. That was an adventure. And a good conversation starter. People thought we actually played.

While waiting for the bus, we inquired about rental cars at CheapWheels Rent-A-Car. It's definitely still beyond our AmeriCorps budget, but it's good to know that it exists. Then we went next door to Al's Wings and Wings while waiting for the bus. It's much more pleasant to sit inside a place that specializes and has a picture of Al Capone on the sign than to get splashed by motorist speeding as close to the curb as possible.

They threw in a few extra wings to my order for good measure.

It's too bad I'm not a huge fan of wings. I 'd like to be a regular there.

Last night, I got to go to a blues concert. James Cotton. It was the first time he's been to Alaska since coming with Muddy Waters in the 80s. It was amazing! Who knew that I would get such a great blues experience in Anchorage. And in a large venue.

The opening act was supposed to be the Gordie Tentrees Trio coming from Whitehorse, Canada (the capitol of Yukon). Unfortunately, one of the members couldn't make it to the show due to 100mph winds. This left me a little bit skeptical since the other two decided to perform anyhow. I would've gone to the show just to see them. They did wonderful things with a steel guitar, a slide guitar, a harmonica, and foot stomping. I wish I could relive the entire experience.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment