Sunday, January 25, 2009

Dance Dance Revolution

Check the rudder for a KC hair.
It's a typical problem. If the helicopter doesn't work it's due to the fact that I shed.
I'd be insulted, but I had to fix the problem last night and my hair does do a pretty good number on the rudder.
I'm officially staying with Bill and Ray. This makes me immensely happy. It seems I continued to delay moving because I didn't like the idea of going home to anybody else in Anchorage.
This works. For now.
I took an oath of office on Friday. There's no turning back now. Bonnie, my AmeriCorps recruiter, told me to sign in blood.
I haven't yet, but this is Alaska.
Governor Palin sent a representative. And Mr. Game Show shook my hand and congratulated me. He remembered my name long enough to ask me to move down five minutes later. I was a little shocked.
At the luncheon, native dancers performed for us, then invited us to join. And why wouldn't I. The movements were simple and repetitive, but as the music sped up, so did we. In doing the dance, I understood the meaning a lot more. Not that I could repeat it in words. Though I'm pretty sure I was stalking something.
Watching head movements and the waving of the head dresses enthralled me. Watching the women smile as they moved was also wonderful. The poor drummers about passed out by the end of it.
Friday night found Ray, Katie, and me at the Folk Fest at UAA.
Ray mentioned the fine sound quality, that you could hear voices over instruments. I feel, in some cases, the instruments should've been a bit louder.
However, it didn't coast anything and the last band, Bearfoot, was amazing. I highly recommend bluegrass fans look them up.
Additionally, a group of clogging ladies performed. While definitely amateur, they lit up the stage with their energy.
Last night, Bearfoot played for the contra dance hosted by the Dancing Bears. Followed by a zydeco band. I danced for about five hours straight. And rarely doubled up on partners. Plus, there are contra dances at least twice a month. All of this after Bill gave me a light up yo yo.
My time in Anchorage could be filled with dance!
Dance and buses.
My new favorite past time is studying bus schedules. I need to create scavenger hunts for myself so I can see everything around here. I can even commute between Anchorage and Wasilla! Not to mention the bus is already heated and jam packed with entertainment!
That being said, Ray leaves town this week. I am Bill's entertainment committee. Excitement hardly covers how I feel. We've got so many plans, I don't know that we'll get through everything. But we'll give it a go.
I can't imagine what I did to deserve such a good life. I hope I continue to do it, whatever it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment