Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bus-tin'

The bus.
Perhaps the most amazing adventure I'll ever have.
If I'm lucky it's on time.
If I'm unlucky, it doesn't show up at all. Unfortunately, this happens more frequently than it should. I can only attribute it to user error so many times. Especially when I've made definite efforts to be at the bus stops early.
It's a good thing I got a tetanus shot and a flu shot at Project Homeless Connection the other day. At least one, if not both, will be necessary while waiting for the bus.
There is a great deal of entertainment value on the bus.
Yesterday, while I headed South for a doctor's appointment, a woman started scolding her boyfriend for downloading inappropriate videos to the computer. She found the links in the history.
The day before, a man told me about his days selling narcotics and fast living. Now he sells burritos and tamales, made by his mother (the former head chef for Alaska's only five star dining establishment). He offered his number for a tour around Anchorage, as well as a free burrito and a free tamale. After much insistence, I accepted. And yes, I did eat them. Though in the company of my friends. I wouldn't call them five star, but I probably would've paid a little something for them.
One bus driver offered the history of the Iditarod.
A drunk man asked if I would help him. After asking if I was his friend. I agreed on the condition that he did not ask me for money. At some point he fell asleep in the middle of a rant about not needing help. I worried at stops as his head lurched closer to my lap. Luckily I had a friend on that little adventure.
Otherwise, people are generally friendly and eager to help as I pull out my bus schedule.
Last night, on my way home from the doctor's appointment, I ran into a girl I met on Saturday. She's got a great life story, grew up in Africa and New York, school in Indiana, and moved to Alaska five months ago because she needed an adventure. As it turns out, she was off to tango lessons. How could I not join? It was perhaps one of the better dance classes of my life. I got to dance with so many people. Though dancing with the instructor spoiled me because she knew how to lead.
And tonight, I had round two of coaching basketball. Pretty awesome. I'm enjoying it more than I expected.
Our first game is Saturday morning at 9:00 (ugh!). Cheer us on!

No comments:

Post a Comment